Thursday, June 19, 2008

The New Post...


I don't know how many of you ever made it to my dearly beloved and now departed gay bar The Post. It was a little dungeon of drunken iniquity in a dark alleyway just off Rittenhouse Square. You felt like you needed a password to get in, but once you were inside you were greeted by the nicest, most friendly bartender in the world--Jimmy, known in some circles as Mr. Northeast Leather. This man loved Anna and I from the minuted we entered. He even bought me dinner the night Anna left me to go visit her mom. It was the first time we'd been apart. We celebrated our 6month-aversary there. We celebrated birthdays there. I had an entire shrimp platter spilled on me one New Years Eve. It was an unlikely venue for me to feel so at home, but if you have ever gone to Sisters you will know exactly why I loved the Post. It was everything Sisters wasn't. The rafters were decorated with stuffed teddy bears sucking each other off, there were Drawing 101 gesture drawings of naked men on the wall, and in the back a second bar with the most disinterested male strippers I'd ever seen swaying back and forth to gay dance music. Still, i loved it. Then the owner was caught with a pile of Meth in the back room and The Post was no more.

Flash back to another dream of mine--to open a lesbian bar that doesn't suck. It would be just like The Post but without the strippers. It would have better beer on tap, a small dance floor and Patsy Cline in the jukebox and ladies could slow dance with their butches. I was really into Stone Butch Blues at the time. Well, it seems two lovely ladies have stolen my idea, not that i can really claim it that much. I'm sure it was a popular thought (again, visit Sisters and you'll know why) but still, it never seemed like it was going to happen, until now. Stir has just opened inside the former Post. It doesn't look at all like what i had envisioned for my lovely lesbian bar. In fact, from the pictures it's hard to tell that it was ever The Post. Still, I'm thrilled to know that the space is being used in a queer way and that there will at least be lesbians slow dancing somewhere in the building. Check it out. 1705 Chancellor St. (a dark ally just south of Walnut Street)



No comments: