Friday, June 13, 2008

Music for the week

It is hot as sin this week. It's gym sweat hot just walking the dog. Welcome to what will hopefully be a weekly music posting.

I need Satisfaction.

I don't care for the Rolling Stones.

Below is a list of preferred Satisfaction tracks:

I Can't Get No Satisfaction, Thank God*- The Softies (from It's Love)
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction- Cat Power (from the Covers Record)
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction- Devo (from Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!)
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction- Otis Redding (from The Definitive Collection)
Satisfaction*- Eve (from Eve-Olution)

*aren't versions of the classic song but reference directly.

A band I never thought I'd care about post highschool: Rage Against the Machine.

This is especially after the roof party that neighbors threw a few years ago when we lived in West Philly. It was on the roof of our apartment building. They had a D.J. and a Rage cover band. The party went on til at least 3 am and I called the police at least 3 times. A hot Memorial day weekend and the a.c. was broken. We laid in bed forced to listen to Bulls on Parade and screaming party goers running up and down the fire escape across the court yard from our bedroom window.

Even so, I started listening to their first album again a few months back (one of the few benefits of Ipod shuffle and my absurd need to digitally catalog every album I own, even if never to listen). Their self titled debut holds up- day and night 100% better then the bullshit bands they unfortunately inspired, Limp Biscuit or Korn or Linkin Park, etc.

The lyrics leave a bizarre sense of history repeating. The music doesn't let you go from beginning to end. It's kinda great and I'm shocked- only based on the way distance can make one's taste red faced.

Two sentence show review: M.I.A at the Armory, June 5th, Philadelphia

M.I.A. was high energy- a great performer and entertainer. The sound at the Armory was awful- seriously the worst sound I've heard at a show and I've been to some shitty basement/garage/backyard shows in my day.

Current favorite Mountain Goats song: From TG&Y.

"...hang on to your dreams 'til someone beats them out of you."

(full lyrics here)

Until next week y'all.

-R.J.

No comments: